Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Irish food


Yesterday I explained my Irishness. Today, the subject on this St. Patricks Day is Irish food.

As my wife and I were comparing notes, we discovered that I ate more corned beef growing up than she did. At least a couple times a month, my parents would make corned beef and cabbage along with potatoes and carrots in a pressure cooker and we would eat it with brown mustard. It was also a holiday meal around Christmas time.

Kathy and I also discovered that one of the best places in Indiana for a corned beef sandwich is in downtown Indianapolis at a deli called Shapiro's. 10 bucks for a sandwich big enough for two!

But there are other Irish fares that we will be tempted to consume tonight as we not only celebrate St. Pat's, but also our 8th wedding anversary.
  1. Irish Soda Bread. Kathy likes it, I can live without it.
  2. Bangers & Mash. Sausage & mashed potatoes with a brown gravy. I may have this tonight.
  3. Irish Stew. Plenty of Beef, Potatoes, and Veggies prepared Irish style.
  4. Green Beer. I'll pass on the food coloring. However I may try a...
  5. Guiness Beer. A small glass as I'm not a beer drinker. Or I may have an...
  6. Irish Coffee. A little Bailys for the effects of alcohol, mixed with caffiene from the coffee to keep me awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment