Friday, June 10, 2011

Getting Hired (Part 5)


Today, the final in a 5 piece series on getting hired.

I wrote this series 5 days ago on Sunday.

The subject has been on my mind a lot recently as I know a couple of people who are looking for work.

The best time to look for a job is when you already have a job.

It is being proactive instead of reactive.

Rarely have I been unemployed. Only once in my life did I ever collect an unemployment check, and by the time the first check arrived, I had a new job.

Oh, I've lost jobs before.

My first radio job while in high school, I was laid off from.

My 2nd, 3rd and 4th full time jobs in radio I was let go from. It was the nature of the radio business which is very insecure when you are on the air.

I also quit a few jobs, fought for a few jobs and even started new careers a couple of times.

I turned down job offers and have been turned down from jobs that I thought were in the bag.

What has happened the past few weeks however in my life breaks all the rules.

What began as a conversation between a couple of friends on April 21st, has led to a new career which starts officially on June 20th.

You can click here to read about it.

There was no resume, no H.R. department, just someone who knew me, who found out I was interested in a new opportunity and everything fell into place.

There are risks involved. I'm giving up a few things in exchange for new challenges, but the pay off for the risks are ones I am willing to take.

I urge you to not wait until you are unemployed to start looking. Prepare now for your next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment