Sunday, November 01, 2009

Wondering about...


quitting.

This morning I have been sitting at the Firefly Coffee House, (or is it the Firefly Coffee Shop?), tackling a project of cleaning up some things on this blog.

It began with my clicking on links to Fort Wayne websites that I had listed from 2008 and discovering that some of them had not been updated in months.

And I wondered why the authors quit?

Some of them were deleted, others simply stopped updating after doing regular updates.

What happened to those people? Are they still around? Did they lose interest, did they decide to use twitter and facebook instead?

Do they know that their blogs are still online?

I wonder..

And as I look at my own life, I know that I have to say no to more things that I'm invited to do so that I can say yes to the things I REALLY want to do.

I enjoy blogging. Even when I don't feel like it, it is a creative outlet for me and I have no intentions of quitting.

Last week I quit a project that I was working on for the past few months, so that I could concentrate on more important things in my life, and as I start the final two months of this year, I am simplifying other areas.

But what about you?

Are you caught up in the multi-tasking world and feeling less and less productive? Has your daily to-do list turned more into a wish list than an actual list of accomplishments at the end of the day?

When I was in my 20's and 30's, having kids, working, and all the items that fill our waking hours, life can become a never ending list.

Now, with those those kids in their 20's and not having daily responsibilities for them anymore, life can filled with what I choose.

Like yesterday, my wife and I spent a couple hours helping a friend move. Or later today, when I get together with a friend for lunch.

Yes, there are still plenty of "must-do" items in my life, but not as many as there were 20 years ago.

I admit, that part of my thinking about all this today is the reminder that in about 40 days I will be 50.

And the friend I am meeting for lunch today is going to be 68 this month.

I figure I have another 25 or more years to live and I get to decide what I want to do, including what I want to quit and what I want to start.

No matter what your age, you get to make some of those decisions in your life too!

No comments:

Post a Comment