Monday, April 21, 2008

Another Milestone



Before I turn off the computer, I wanted to share a reflection or two, because today, April 21st is another milestone in my life.

On April 21, 2003, I started working at Travis Broadcasting on Lower Huntington Road in Fort Wayne, Indiana. 5 years ago today.

I was one of a half-dozen that started that day, working for Karen and Bob Travis and their group of 6 radio stations.

We had 1250am, WGL, Fort Wayne's oldest radio station, and it was a news/talk/sports station.

Don Imus, followed by Dave Macy, Jim Rome, and others filled the airwaves.

Z-94.1, WCKZ was Classic Hits, playing Madonna, Aerosmith, Michael Jackson, and all the tunes from the 80's that were Hits. Doc West and Leslie Stone did mornings, and eventually the station moved from Classic Hits to Classic Rock.

Hits 96, WNHT, was a Top 40 station, and we also had X-102 at 102.3 and 102.9 as Ft. Wayne's Alternative.

Rounding out the bunch was WYLT , a Light Rock station at 103.9,

To see the current line up click here and then click on each station logo to go to their websites.

Out of the 6 sales people hired that day, only 2 of us lasted at least a year or more. Heather Smith stayed with us for a couple years I believe and left, returned and left again. Only one other person besides some of our air staff has been there as long as myself, and that is Rob Livergood, who started about a month before me.

Along with Doc & Leslie, we also have Jason Lee and JJ Fabini who have been there longer than me. There's a couple others that were there, let go when times were tough and brought back. Rod Tanner who does mornings on WGL, B.J. Steele, who is on WNHT and WGL, and Bonnie, our crazy Canadian receptionist.

Those that are gone are too many to list tonight, but the friendships continue with several that are no longer in the building.

Changes will continue to occur on Lower Huntington Road, although not much has changed in nearly two years when we brought back ROCK 104, sold off 102.3 and 94.1 and made the River an AM/FM combo for WGL at 1250am & 102.9fm.

Except for my 8 years at Crawford Broadcasting's WMUZ in Detroit, this is the longest I've stayed at one place in 30 years since starting in radio full time.

Thanks to the listeners that I met when I used to work on the air, the advertisers that have supported the many stations I've been a part of, and the co-workers that are scattered across town and across the country.

Now let's see what the next 5 years will be like!

No comments:

Post a Comment