Sunday, June 12, 2011

Irony, God Style


I'm a Christian.

I don't hide it, I just do my best to live it.

And for your information, Christians are just like the rest of the human race. We do wrong things, we don't do the right things and we understand that we can't earn a spot in heaven by being good enough.

So what makes Christians different?

Faith... a belief in Jesus Christ, born as the Son of God the Father, who lived a sinless life and died on the cross as talked about in the Bible. Because of this belief and faith, our lives are being transformed by the Holy Spirit and our sins are forgiven.

Ask me if you want more info, but I prefer to try and live by example and not just words. Which isn't always easy, and that's where prayer comes in.

But this article isn't about what I just wrote, that's just the background about what's next.

When I was 49 years old my doctor said once I turned 50 he wanted me to have a colonoscopy. I ignored him but earlier this year he mentioned it again, now that I'm 51.

Wednesday June 8th I took the day off and had it done. Afterwards I took a nap and saw a note on Twitter that a friend had died.

This friend was from our church, Holy Cross Lutheran in Fort Wayne. We got to know Dave Widenhofer & his wife Mary when we were in a small group Bible study a few years ago. Dave was in remission from Colon cancer when we met, and the first thing he said to me 7 years ago was to get screened.

I didn't think much about it back then, but when I was scheduling my appointment, Dave was on my mind. His cancer has returned and there was nothing else that the doctors could do.

Thus the Irony.

The day I have my first Colonoscopy, which screens for cancer, is the day my friend passes away from Colon Cancer earlier in the day.

I have a feeling that Dave was sitting with God looking down on me with approval Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment