Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Tech Tip Tuesday


Just some insight this week.

Last summer I bought my first smart phone, a Motorola Droid. It's the first phone I've had that can do more than text, take pictures and make phone calls.

On one hand I like being able to monitor emails, and twitter.

On the other hand, I'm a bit disappointed.

I have friends who have had iPhones for a few years and others had Blackberrys before that.

But the size of the screen and the keyboard are a pain. It's why I still use my laptop for 99% of the work I do.

I've seen the iPad and I'm not sure what I would use it for. There are certain programs that I use for work that are not compatible with an iPad, and I certainly don't need another piece of technology to haul around.

In about a year, I'll be keeping my eyes open to see what I might use for my next phone.

In contrast to my own feelings and usage of my smart phone, they have been gaining in popularity with no signs of slowing down.

Seth Godin shared his thoughts on all of this last week:

Small screens and big decisions

My take: the smaller the screen, the more hurried and less informed the decision ends up being.

Yes, there's more currency, more immediacy, more with-you-right-now-all-the-time and more data being collected. But......

If you're working with a spreadsheet or a thread of correspondence or a set of data, I'm not sure you're doing your best work if you're doing it on an iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment