Friday, September 17, 2010

Why Keep Score


Sunday morning, I'm sitting at the Firefly Coffee Shop (in Fort Wayne), as I do most Sundays, talking with friends, reading email and writing blog posts.


Like this one.


My work world involves keeping score.

Yet I wish it didn't sometimes.

As a salesperson of advertising, I have monthly goals and this year has been pretty good for me.

But I'm always aware of the numbers and those sales figures are how we keep score. And my income is tied to that score, in real numbers.

The work I enjoy the most however is when I'm helping others with their marketing and advertising. I guess you would call it helping them increase their score.

It's not that I don't care about money, because I do know what it's like not to have enough to meet your obligations.

And it's not that I'm not competitive, because I have an excellent poker face that I use when racing go-karts, playing miniature golf, Frisbee golf, and euchre.

I just enjoy the process of life as much and sometimes more than the outcome.

Which helps me to create work that transcends what most salespeople do.

What inspired this post was the following words from Seth Godin's Blog:

Why jazz is more interesting than bowling

Bowling is all about one number: the final score. And great bowlers come whisker-close to hitting the perfect score regularly. Not enough dimensions for me to be fascinated by, and few people pay money to attend bowling matches.

Jazz is practiced over a thousand or perhaps a million dimensions. It's non-linear and non-predictable, and most of all, it's never perfect.

And yet...

when we get to work, most of us choose to bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment