Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tech Tuesday Tip


This time, a few personal tips from my own experience. And a disclaimer too.
First the disclaimer: Use at your own risk. I'm not responsible for this screwing up your computer.

However, on the other hand, the only time in the past 10 years that I've taken a computer to a professional, I knew more than he did.

Yesterday I helped a co-worker revive a "dead" laptop. It was out of commission for the past 5 months. It wasn't really dead, it would hang when it was starting up. The most difficult part of the problem was he was using Windows Vista and only had one user account. I have Vista on my laptop and XP on a desktop and discovered a few years ago the value of having more than one user account with administrator privileges.

If your user account gets messed up, you can often still sign on using the backup user and restore/fix the problem.

So, go ahead and set up that back up user account now, even if you are the only one who will ever use your computer. It may save you some big bucks in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment