Monday, April 28, 2008

Clean up Computer Reminder


On my "to do list": Clean up the family computer. My wife mentioned it to me the other day and while I did a bunch of outside clean ups, the old family desktop needs me.

Fortunately, Kim Komando's tip of the day today talks about that subject. Here are some pointers from Kim, along with where you can go to get her to send you tips in your email too!

...I would also clean out the computer. Start with Disk Cleanup. This is a Windows utility. Click Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Disk Cleanup. Let the program check your hard drive. You can probably discard whatever Disk Cleanup finds.

Next, defragment the hard drive. Disk Defragmenter is also in the System Tools folder. Click Defragment Now. When Defragmenter finishes, set up a regular schedule. That is done in the same window.

Also, check the integrity of the hard drive. To do that, click Start>>Computer. Right-click the C: drive. Click Properties. Select the Tools tab. Click Check Now. Select both boxes and click Start>>OK. Restart the computer.

If your problems continue, you could add memory. Be sure that your computer will accept a third gigabyte of RAM. The manual should say. Windows should be able to read the third gigabyte. But I wouldn't add more than that. You'll run short of addressable space. I explain that in a tip.

I have other memory tips, too: Copyright © 2008, The Kim Komando Show. All rights reserved. The Kim Komando Show is not responsible for the availability of, or the content located on or through, any such third-party site. Information in this document is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom from infringement. The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of this document. We will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of this information, including, but not limited to direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, and consequential damages.

Me again. Set a restore point before doing anything, as a precaution.

Go here http://www.komando.com/ to get more tips from Kim and sign up for her newsletters.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:24 AM

    Thanks for Sharing this information.

    Computer Set-up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:23 AM

    I try to automate tasks in order to save time and so that i dont need to remember to run them. For instance, an atomatic defragger runs in the background and defrags whenever needed. No manual or scheduled defrags. Helps save money and effort in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Depending on the computer and the tasks, I have several of them automated too. However in order to cut down on resources, I would rather do some tasks manually on the older, less powerful machines.

    Besides, my wife thinks I'm a hero when I clean up the 'puter!

    ReplyDelete