Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tech Tuesday Tip


Tech Tips for the Non-Techie:

As a child of the 1960's and 70's, our house was pretty traditional middle class. Except we had more electronics stuff than many of my friends, considering there we just 3 of us, (Mom, Dad & Scott).

We had a finished basement where the family room was located and it had both a television and a telephone. There was also a TV & phone in the kitchen and another TV upstairs in my Dad's office, and two phones upstairs!

All the phones were corded, like the one in the picture. Besides the cord you see, there was another one that went from the back of the phone to a wall jack. And that circular thing on the phone was the dial. You put your finger in the hole and turned the dial clockwise and released to dial each number, one at a time.

Now, each member of our family not only has their own phone, but we each have our own phone number. And some of us have smart phones that function as mini-computers, camera's , etc.

Today's tech tip is about a free service that most non-techies haven't heard of.

Google Voice.

Google Voice is another free service from Google that gives you another phone number and probably has more features than your current cellphone.

Whenever I make a call from my cellphone, I can call using my Verizon number and have that call use my Verizon plan minutes, or I can use Google Voice and the call doesn't count against my minutes.

Why do you need a second number? Maybe you want a personal line and a business line. I don't know... you decide.

Check out the video and go here to get your own Google Voice phone number: https://www.google.com/voice

No comments:

Post a Comment