Sunday, January 03, 2010

My Sources Part 3


Yesterday I disclosed some of the background of what I do here and revealed a couple of the sources for the material I post.

I get updates in my email from these sources, since email is still the most commonly used form of electronic communication I have with my clients, I check it a few times a day.

Harvey Mackay, was one of my mentors 20 years ago and I will use his weekly column a couple times a month either on this blog or the Collective Wisdom Blog.

Here's his latest:

Harvey Mackay's Column This Week

Quotes to help you toast the New Year

One of the most innovative holiday greetings I received last year came from friends who sent a holiday card labeled "Quips and Quotes to help you toast the New Year." Since I am an aphorism junkie and always on the lookout for creative and interesting ways to stay in touch with my friends and readers, I especially welcomed their effort.

In fact, I liked it so much I decided to create my own version. Here is some of my best advice to guide you through 2010 and beyond.

  • They don't pay off on effort ... they pay off on results.
  • No one ever choked swallowing his or her pride.
  • Don't just mark time; use time to make your mark.
  • People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.
  • Technology should improve your life, not become your life.
  • The best way to be somebody is just to be yourself.
  • The best vitamin for making friends is B1.
  • It is not a question as to who is right but what is right.
  • The difference between failure and success is doing a thing nearly right and doing it exactly right.
  • Many people hear ... but few people listen.
  • There is no free tuition in the school of experience.
  • The person who has no goal does not fear failure.
  • The best way to get even is to forget.
  • It is better to forgive and forget than to resent and remember.
  • Make decisions with your heart and you'll wind up with heart disease.
  • People have a way of becoming what you encourage them to be—not what you nag them to be.
  • You can win more friends with your ears than with your mouth.
  • When you kill a little time, you may be murdering opportunity.
  • Education is an investment and never an expense.
  • Ideas won't work unless I do.
  • It's never right to do wrong, and it's never wrong to do right.
  • Your smile is more important than anything else you wear.
  • Gratitude shouldn't be an occasional incident but a continuous attitude.
  • Helping someone up won't pull you down.
  • Those that have the most to say usually say it with fewest words.
  • If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense in making them.
  • People wrapped up in themselves make pretty small packages.
  • When is the last time you did something for the first time?

I also wanted to share these gems from unknown authors whose wisdom is timeless.

  • Smart is believing half of what you hear; brilliant is knowing which half to believe.
  • One thing I can give and still keep is my word.
  • Those who beef too much often land in the stew.
  • Compromise is always wrong when it means sacrificing principle.
  • Most people say they are willing to meet each other halfway; trouble is most people are pretty poor judges of distance.
  • If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
  • Most people aim to do right; they just fail to pull the trigger.
  • Most people fail in life because the wishbone is where the backbone should be.
  • Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the mastery of it.
  • Friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.
  • Happiness can be thought, taught and caught—but not bought.
  • Burying your talents is a grave mistake.
  • Praise, like sunlight, helps all things to grow.
  • Life just gives you time and space—it's up to you to fill it.
  • The heaviest thing I can carry is a grudge.
  • A stumble may prevent a fall.
  • Failure is no more fatal than success is permanent.

Mackay's Moral: Not just words to live by, words to live better. Happy 2010!

Miss a column? The last three weeks of Harvey's columns are always archived online.

More information and learning tools can be found online at harveymackay.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment