Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Self-Talk

I read this Sunday. You get to read it now. From the DLM Blog:

If I Couldn't Fail, I would...

Posted: 14 Aug 2008 08:48 AM CDT

Written on 8/14/2008 by Elizabeth Day, of edaycafe.com. Photo Credit: where are the joneses

Beliefs are the most powerful force in the world. What we believe to be true about ourselves appears in our lives as our lives.

How do you visualize your world? Do you hold the belief that nothing good happens to you, that you will never win the prize? Our prosperity, or lack of it, reflects our thinking. Would you like to be on the receiving end of prosperity?

Then change your thinking and you’ll change your world! You will become what you think about most.

Erase and Replace

All of us talk to ourselves all the time. We are thinking machines that never shut down. The more you think about anything in a certain way the more you will believe that that

is how it really is. Become aware of what you are thinking. Make a list of your thoughts. Most people are unaware of just how many negative thoughts they think about themselves and the world around them. If you can’t be bothered making a list, have a friend say “negative” every time he or she hears negative self-talk. It will stop you in your tracks. You will be surprised how many negative thoughts you think in a day’s time.

You need to be aware of everything you tell yourself about yourself.

Here are a few examples of negative self-talk:
  • I’m so clumsy
  • Just my luck
  • I never know what to say
  • I’m too shy
  • I don’t have talent
  • It’s just no use
  • Nobody likes me
  • I’m too poor
  • There’s just no way
  • I hate my job
  • I just can’t handle this
The human mind will do and believe anything you tell it if you tell it often enough and strongly enough! If you tell it the wrong things about yourself, it will accept and act upon it.

Programming
Our conditioning, from the day we were born, has created and reinforced most of what we believe about ourself. Right or wrong, true or false, the result of it is what we believe to be true. It all starts with programming.

I can’t - Your greatest foe. You say something negative about yourself and accept it.

I need to, I should - Your recognition of your need to change, but don’t.

I never, I no longer - You recognize the need to change and make the decision to do something about it.

When you replace a negative thought or action with I never or I no longer, your mind will eventually accept it. For instance, if you are a smoker, every time you light a cigarette say to yourself and out loud, I have no desire to smoke or I never smoke. Say it to yourself until your subconscious mind accepts its new directive and creates a new non-smoking version of you. You no longer smoke! That’s exactly what you told your subconscious mind; that’s exactly what it will do.

I am - The better you. The most effective thought pattern. It has been used the least and is needed the most. You are telling your subconscious mind, “This is the me I want you to create! I don’t smoke! I am living the life I choose, I do everything I need to do when I need to do it. Your past negative thought patterns are turned around. You are no longer thinking, “I can’t remember names” instead you are thinking “I have a great memory”. Which do you want your subconscious mind to accept?

This is how the brain works
  1. Programming creates beliefs.
  2. Beliefs create attitudes.
  3. Attitudes create feelings.
  4. Feelings determine actions.
  5. Actions create results.
Start with the first step. Change your programming.

What would you do if you had no chance of failing?

-Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment